This month, many of the most popular trending videos were related to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, where people were challenged to either pour a bucket of ice water over their head, donate to ALS research, or both. While many of these videos have gone viral, there are several non-Ice Bucket Challenge videos you might have missed. The following videos were some of August’s hottest:
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Ferguson, MO and Police Militarization. You may remember John Oliver from his time as contributing host to the Daily Show. On the segment “Last Week Tonight,” Oliver spends his time discussing events of the past week and examining them. The unrest in Ferguson, MO was foremost among his topics last month. He dissected the situation with characteristically frank humor.
- Adorable Baby Stops Crying When She Hears Katy Perry Song. This hysterically cute video features a rather fussy baby girl riding in a car, clearly on the verge of crying her eyes out. As soon as the Katy Perry song “Dark Horse” comes over the car’s speakers, her entire attitude changes. Her face takes on a remarkably excited expression, and she begins bouncing up and down in her car seat with obvious joy. When Katy Perry began singing, the baby’s rapture was simply adorable.
- “Apparently” This Kid is Awesome, Steals the Show during Interview. A young boy named Noah Ritter from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, captured the attention and the love of many across America with his hilarious interview. At the Wayne County Fair, Noah was asked by a reporter how he liked the ride he had just been on. He took the microphone and immediately stole the show, largely due to his young sincerity and frequent and incorrect use of the word “apparently.”
- Dog Passes out from Overwhelming Joy. This video features a dog who is simply overcome with excitement upon the return of a family member after a two year absence. The dog, a Schnauzer named Casey, had not seen the family member since her departure to Slovenia, where she lived, worked, and got married over the course of two years. When she finally returned home to Murrysville, PA, it was too much for Casey, who after crying with excitement passed out on the driveway. The family took Casey to the vet, and she suffered no damage.
- Bill Gates Takes ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. Tens of thousands of people have participated in the Ice Bucket Challenge, including a surprising number of celebrities. The richest man in the world, Bill Gates, accepted the challenge from fellow technology genius Mark Zuckerberg, and dumped a bucket of Ice Water on his head. He also added some humor to his video, “designing” and “building” an elaborate system to more efficiently dump the water.